St. Mark Baptist Church began, September 1925 in the Old Penny Schoolhouse in the Penny Community with four converts. Services were held the first and third Sundays in each month with Rev. Mingle Fletcher as our first pastor.
Under the leadership of our 6th pastor [Rev. Amos Donaldson (who joined the fellowship in September 1937)], additional land was secured for the church and the second sanctuary made of block was erected in 1950.
In December 1979, Rev. John L. Clay was elected. Under his leadership, the church continued to grow with the purchase of two additional acres of land, education and fellowship wings, emergence of more auxiliaries and programs, an increased membership, spiritual growth and development and the construction of our third and present sanctuary. Dr. Clay emphasized Christian education and Christian service.
December 2014, after 35 years of faithful service, Dr. Clay retired. We are thankful for his years of leadership and indebted to his service.
February 1, 2015, our present Pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Chester, began his Pastorate.
St. Mark is affiliated with the Mallard Creek Primitive Baptist Association, the Tri-State Primitive Baptist Convention and the National Primitive Baptist Convention. The church is a teaching and reaching church that believes that God is and must be the center of all we do. St. Mark reaches beyond its physical walls to teach and to spread the Word of God to the saved and the lost.