Purpose of the position:
The Church Custodian has the responsibility for the appearance, maintenance, and security of the building and grounds, as well as the overall cleanliness of St Mark Baptist Church.
Reports to: The Pastor and Building and Maintenance Committee directly.
- Dependable, responsible, and self-motivated. Must have regular timely attendance during stated or negotiated hours.
- Possess excellent communication skills and a strong team player with the staff.
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, kneel, and stand for extended periods of time. Must have the ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds and to have complete mobility in building and grounds activities.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Prior maintenance experience preferred. References also desirable.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Good knowledge of basic mechanical functions.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and schedule cleaning tasks for maximum efficiency.
General Expectations and Responsibilities:
- The Custodian often represents the Church and great care should be taken to make a positive and professional appearance in all circumstances.
- Police area daily for appearance, security, breakage or malfunctions. Empty trash as needed.
- Put all garbage in appropriate containers.
- Clean the janitor closets annually or more frequently if necessary.
- Accommodate Weddings and Funerals as needed. Spot clean sanctuary and all public areas prior to use.
- Assist with set up for Fellowship Receptions or Special Events.
- The Baptismal Pool should be cleaned and disinfected when activities are completed.
- Arrange for all fire extinguishers to be checked and charged as required to meet all safety inspections.
- Custodian is responsible for keeping inventory of all cleaning or kitchen supplies and order/purchase when items are needed. Major purchases should be coordinated with the Building and Maintenance Chairman in conjunction with the Pastor.
- Attend Staff meetings.
- Change exterior sign as directed.
- Perform other duties as required by the Pastor and the Building and Maintenance Committee...
- This position will be under the direction and authority of the Pastor and Building and Maintenance Committee.
- The candidate will meet bi-annually with the Pastor and Building and Maintenance Committee to review goals, set expectations, evaluate performance, and suggest ways to improve.